nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so problem

christoffer at trollcomputing.com christoffer at trollcomputing.com
Thu Dec 18 02:31:50 PST 2003

Hello all!

I'm running FreeBSD v. 5.1
I'm having problems getting commands like
chmod and chown to read winbind data.

I've installed samba from ports with the

make WITH_WINBIND_NSS=yes

compile option.
I've also created a
/etc/nsswitch.conf file containing:

passwd:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

I've copied the :
/usr/ports/net/samba/work/samba-2.2.8a/source/nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so
to:
/usr/lib
(also tried /usr/local/lib)

I've done all the nessecary samba configurations, and can get user and groups
with :
wbinfo -u and -g. I've allso joined my NT domain with no problems,
so winbind is working properly.

The thing is that commands like chmod and chown can not assign to the winbind
gathered user/group list.

I belive these commands use the information from /etc/nsswitch.conf when they
get usernames and groupnames?

I just get "invalid argument" when trying to chown a file to a user from the
winbind list.

Please help me out!