Linking with -shared and -pthread...

Peter Wood peter at alastria.net
Sun Aug 31 12:13:08 PDT 2003

Good Evening,

I've been looking at writing a program that uses both shared libraries
(dlopen/dlclose) and POSIX threads. I however haven't had any success in my
simple tests.

After doing some research via google I found that due to -shared pthreads
wasn't linked into the shared library, fair enough, it's logical.

My question is, is it possible to write programs that use pthreads in their
shared libraries on FreeBSD.

For compiling the base program (that is the program that loads the shared
libraries) I've been using:

gcc -export-dynamic -pthread master.c -o master

And for each of the shared libaries I've been using:

gcc -shared -pthread slave.c -o slave.so

I had intended to use some form of message queue using a pthread condition.

The sample C files I've been using can be located at:
http://planet.alastria.net/~peter/hackers/master.c
http://planet.alastria.net/~peter/hackers/slave.c

Any light would be greatly apreciated,

Cheers,