Just a quick thank you...

Kees Jan Koster kjkoster at kjkoster.org
Sun Aug 31 05:28:49 PDT 2003

Dear All,

I'd like to thank you guys for the great work. FreeBSD is getting better
with every release.

A few weeks ago I replaced my motherboard with something marginally
faster (from a 650MHz Athlon to a 1800+ one, a really minor upgrade).
FreeBSD accepted the change without even blinking its virtual eyes.
Windows took about ten reboots to get back into some form of working
state. Some Windows games still can't switch video mode, even though I
never changed the video card.

In particular, Windows still fails to detect my on-board sound card,
which FreeBSD picked up without so much as a kernel recompile. There
used to be a time when this was the other way around.

The next step for Windows would to be able to deal with new hardware
without doing an installation from scratch. The next step for FreeBSD
would to be able to replace the motherboard without shutting down the
machine. :-)

 Yours,
   Kees Jan