BSD-licensed gzip, grep and diff families in OpenBSD

Brandon D. Valentine brandon at dvalentine.com
Fri Aug 22 17:15:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 05:03:39PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Only if they are relatively feature-complete with respect to the GNU
> code and don't have significant regressions (e.g. one of the BSDL
> reimplementations of grep floating around out there performs
> significantly worse than GNU grep).  Perhaps you could investigate for
> us.

I agree with Kris, but wanted to point out that at this moment OpenBSD
is without sdiff(1) as a result of this change.  I'm not interested in
using any system without sdiff(1).

Why not wait a bit and see how many OpenBSD users complain about this
change?  =)

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon at dvalentine.com                                 http://www.geekpunk.net
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  truth is out about chinese espionage