[future patch] dropping user privileges on demand

ari edelkind-freebsd-hackers at episec.com
Thu Aug 21 05:52:00 PDT 2003

dnelson at allantgroup.com said this stuff:

> In the last episode (Aug 17), ari said:
> > Currently, root is the only user that can actually drop significant
> > privileges, as root is the only user that has access to such
> > functions. This is flawed --- any user should be able to relinquish
> > his privileges, and i've begun a patch to put this into effect.
>
> Have you taken a look at Cerb?  http://cerber.sourceforge.net/
>
> It does something similar, but uses a C-like language to control a
> processes actions.  This lets you get extremely fine-grained control
> (allow httpd to bind to only port 80, once), but the rules run as
> "root", so they can grant as well as revoke privileges.  A useful
> modification would be to allow users to submit their own policies that
> can only disallow actions (i.e. all arguments and process variables are
> read-only, and the script can either pass the syscall through or return
> a failure code, nothing else).

I hadn't looked at cerb, though a C interface to systrace, or the
modification of systrace to add a specialty function to the kernel, had
passed though my mind.

However, systrace is a good bit more complex than this should be, and
the performance penalty can be significant.  Neither programmers nor
admins should be expected to implement something that slows down their
programs on a wide scale, even if it would be advisable from a security
standpoint.  The implementation of flowpriv, however, will have a
negligible performance impact (about three memory references per system
call).  I _do_ believe that systrace and flowpriv should work together,
but i don't believe they should be consolidated.

I have proof-of-concept code now, as a modification of 5.1-RELEASE-p2.
I'll make a patch as soon as i get a chance; the idea may be a bit
clearer then.

ari