new routing protocol

Paolo Pisati flag at libero.it
Wed Aug 20 05:05:44 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:02:40PM -0700, Jerry Toung wrote:

> My problem is dealing with debuging and portability. With this raw approach I
> guess I will have to run builkernel and installkernel all the time. How can I
> avoid that? I thought about kernel modules, but I don't know what kind to use
> (SYSCALL_MODULE or DEV_MODULE,etc..) and how about netgraph.? does that make
> sense?

i'm implementing a packet classification algorithm in FreeBSD using
the Netgraph nodes, and i would reccomend you to do the same:

writing a netgraph node is really simple (after you crash
your os serveral times... =), and you can
plug/unplug your code at any time without
the need to reboot.

The only thing you have to bear in mind is that
all your code is running in kernel land (like
the patch you wanted to write...) so, an
endless loop, a bad pointer or a misuse of the
stack space will bring your computer down (sooner or later).

It would be nice to have a manual of the "for dummies"
collection called "writing code in kernel land" aka
"be careful! we don't have seat belt here!" =)

hope this help...

--

Paolo

GUFI: http://www.gufi.org