GEOM Gate.

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 19 02:18:54 PDT 2003

Attila Nagy wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > It works on firewire and it works on a dual port RAID array (as a
> > separate box containing the RAID array).
>
> What does 'it' means? I guess it's not UFS, but the pure ability of
> sharing a device on a bus, connected to more than one adapters.

The "it" was the subject of the previous sentence, which you diked
out; that's how prepositional phrases work in English.  8-).  In
other words, multiple access to the same device from one or more
SCSI controllers.

> > SAN and NAS are also options, but of course, you still have to have
> > an FS that can deal with it, and an external locking protocol.
>
> Right, we were talking about FreeBSD, which lacks such a filesystem :(

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: porting GFS would be
a really trivial amount of work, taking almost no creativity to do;
the last time this subject came up and Sistina was offering to
change their license, I ported all the user space utilities in under
a day.  I didn't finish off the whole FS port because I lacked the
necessary disk drives and FreeBSD lacked the necessary controller
driver for those disk drives, and the active maintainers claimed
that they had a port in progress.

These types of things are primarily busy-work and a way to spend
money on hardware I'll likely never use in a production environment
to end up with code under a license that prevents me from using it
in a commercial product.  That makes doing the work very uninteresting.

-- Terry