PCI quirk

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Aug 18 07:15:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:48:41PM +0200, Igor Pokrovsky wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to add a PCI quirk, which will enable SMBus on boot
> (it gets disabled by BIOS). What is the best place in kernel
> to do this? I looked through PCI sources, but haven't found
> any suitable place for that (not like in USB case).

This sounds like perhaps you need to add a patch tied to your southbridge.

Generally the SMBus interface hangs off the southbridge or a power management
controller. But you haven't told us which one, so any advice we may be able
to give you is largely academic.

Do you know the PCI ID of the *function* that implements the SMBus interface
in your system? If so, grep through the kernel source and find which driver
is attached to it, if any. If not, pciconf -lv is a good place to start.

BMS