Using CVS diff to find out what has changed, including new files

Rolf Grossmann rg at progtech.net
Mon Aug 4 12:41:32 PDT 2003

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>Rolf Grossmann <grossman at progtech.net> writes:
>

>>I'm using cvsup for a while now to get a copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository
>>and I have a (slightly modified) version of -STABLE checked out from there.
>>Now there are certain areas where I'd like to see what changed before
>>doing a "cvs update". Currently I'm using "cvs diff -u -N -r BASE -r RELENG_4"
>>to do that. However this has one drawback that I'm hoping you'll be
>>able to help me with: If files have been removed from the distribution,
>>these files continue to show up as getting readded (even though they
>>won't when doing an update). To see the problem, you can go to
>>/usr/src/sbin/md5 and run the above cvs diff command.
>>

>That's normal behaviour with CVS when using branches.

FWIW it also happens with HEAD (which of course is a branch aswell, but
no way around).

>The only
>workaround I know of is to specify the files explicitly.  With zsh,
>you can do 'cvs diff -Nu -rBASE -rRELENG_4 **/*~*CVS*(.)'

Which, again, won't list the files I don't have yet.

Wouldn't you consider it a bug listing files that are not really part of
either revision? Maybe I should file a bug report with the CVS people?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply.
Rolf