How to build Gnome on my own?

藍挺瑋 lantw44 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 15:34:21 UTC 2018

於 星期一,2018-05-21 於 19:12 -0400,Farhan Khan 提到:
> Hi all,
>
> How would I go about compiling Gnome for FreeBSD if I downloaded the latest
> source off Github?

GNOME never hosts its source code on GitHub. There is a GitHub organization
called 'GNOME', but it is just a mirror. Pull requests opened there are very
likely to be ignore because few maintainers watch repositories on GitHub. The
only reason that opening pull request is allowed there is that GitHub provides
no way to disable pull requests.

GNOME is in the progress of migrating from its old cgit and bugzilla setup to
GitLab: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME. Since the migration is still in
progress, it is likely that you will still have to use https://git.gnome.org/
and https://bugzilla.gnome.org/ sometimes.

> Is there a current build guide document I could follow?
> Is there a process?

Since you said you want to build GNOME on your own, I assume this means you want
to do so with little help from FreeBSD ports system.

Yes, it is possible to compile GNOME with minimal help from ports, but it is not
a trivial process. (I don't say 'without any help from ports' here because you
still have to install a few build tools maintained by other projects.) The
process never goes smoothly. You should be prepared to resolve many issues
during the build. When you hit a problem which you are unable to resolve, you
can ask us in #freebsd-gnome channel on freenode IRC. Remember that you have to
stay online in order to get your question answered because we cannot send
messages to an offline user on IRC.

The process we use requires a tool called 'JHBuild'. Since JHBuild changes
frequently, it is not available from ports and you have to download and install
it from GNOME GitLab yourself.

JHBuild source code:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/jhbuild

Assuming that you don't have previous experience of using JHBuild, there is an
introduction on GNOME wiki. It is made for Fedora and Ubuntu, but steps are
mostly the same.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Jhbuild/Introduction

To read the complete manual of JHBuild, simply type 'yelp doc/C/index.docbook'
in the source directory of JHBuild. You will need it to find options available
in jhbuildrc and modify build definitions (called modulesets) in JHBuild.

The most important wiki page is the page we use to share issues and solutions:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Jhbuild/FreeBSD

It briefly describe the additional steps and configurations required to get
JHBuild work on FreeBSD. The most useful thing on the page is the list of known
and resolved issues. You can find links to patches which are waiting for code
review there, and these patches are useful to resolve build issues. When you
file a bug for a GNOME issue, it is recommended to add a link on the page to
notify us.

I am typing this message from Evolution 3.29.2 running under GNOME Shell 3.29.1
on FreeBSD 11.2-BETA2 built by JHBuild.

> This is my 3rd email to the listserv requesting the same assistance and
> only received one (and I mean this with respect) not helpful response.

I know you sent messages about compiling Cinnamon desktop before. However, I
have no experience on using or compiling Cinnamon, so I could not provide any
help there and I simply ignored them.

> Please assist!

Join #freebsd-gnome on freenode! It is more active than this mailing list.