gdm login with german keyboard?

Peter Ulrich Kruppa opsyspref at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 16:09:45 UTC 2018

Hi,

I wonder if there is any way to make gdm's login window understand a german
keyboard instead of default en_US .

I have got gnome3-3.3.18 installed from ports, everything is running
smoothly and stable. My system is FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE amd64 .
"Inside" gnome-3 I have german keyboard set up and also "outside" on
console.

In /usr/local/etc/gdm/locale.conf I have set everything to de_DE , but that
only makes the login dialog speak german - it doesn't change the default
keyboard.

I had hoped I could place something like
                    setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout de
into some Init file - but ... nothing.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks and greetings

Peter