FreeBSD Port: finance/gnucash

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Mon Jun 9 15:54:04 UTC 2014

On 06/09/14 04:03, Michael Wagner wrote:
> I am very new to freeBSD, and I have a couple of questions.
>
> I noticed that the two things that intrigued me about gnucahs are
> apparently turned off in the freeBSD port of gnucash - though it's posiible
> that they are jsut turned off in PC-BSD version of the freeBSD port:
>
> 1)  database support (ie, storing gnucash info in PostGres, etc).
> 2)  OFX file support.
>
> Is this a matter of proprietary code and/or open source issues, or lack of
> interest?

These two features are available as port options in the FreeBSD ports
collection, but are turned off by default.

This means that the official binary packages don't have those compiled
in. If PC-BSD makes it's package with default options ports then these
are not going to be available in PC-BSD either.

Why they are turned off I think is up for guessing. Since usually we try
to keep dependencies at a minimum and those options add dependencies
that could be the reason.

No OSS or license issues, nor really lack of interest, it simply looked
like a sensible default.

You can try championing for changing the defaults.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>