FreeBSD Port: converters/libiconv

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 06:17:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Robert_Burmeister <
robert.burmeister at utoledo.edu> wrote:

> Robert_Burmeister wrote
> > This is after removing the converters/libiconv port and recompiling all
> > ports.
> >
> > A number of Gnome programs are not using the built in iconv;
> > the ports still need to be updated.
>
> I've narrowed it down to avahi-app failing, and things cascading from
> there.
>
> libgvfsdbus.so
> libgioremote-volume-monitor.so
> libavahi-glib.so.1
>
> still require libiconv.so.3
>
> I don't know if this has anything to do with being on i386,
> but running portupgrade -af three times after removing libiconv hasn't
> shaken it out.

Very odd.My system is amd64, but I can't see how that could have any
involvement here.

I just checked and,first, I have no issues with avahi-app. avahi runs fine
on my system. Second, none of the listed shareables is linked to
libiconv.so.3. What further bothers me is that something is linked to
libiconv if all ports were rebuilt after tth move of iconv to the base
system.

This implies that something is left over after the upgrade that is still
linked to libiconv.so.3. It has to be some leftover file.

FWIW, I deleted all ports first and then re-installed. I used portmaster to
generate a list of ports to be re-installed as per the example in
portmaster(8) (portmaster --list-origins > ~/installed-port-list). I'm
betting that some leftover is causing this issue and the problems with
avahi-daemon segment faulting. You might try looking for a file in
/usr/local that has an mtime older than when you up-dated. It my be a
packing list issue with some port. That's one reason I like to deinstall
everything and make sure that /usr/local is empty (with the exception of
etc).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com