FreeBSD Port: converters/libiconv

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 04:33:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Robert_Burmeister <
robert.burmeister at utoledo.edu> wrote:

> Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote
> > Robert_Burmeister wrote on 24.01.2014 22:00:
> >> This is after removing the converters/libiconv port and recompiling all
> >> ports.
> >>
> >> A number of Gnome programs are not using the built in iconv;
> >> the ports still need to be updated.
> >
> > You may find port sysutils/bsdadminscripts useful.
> > It has pkg_libchk tool that will help to find any programs still linked
> > against libiconv from ports. Just invoke it as `pkg_libchk -q` and
> > rebuild all the ports it will find.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Ruslan
>
> Thanks, but I meant to say that the ports' Makefiles need to be updated.
>
> Just recompiling without converters/libiconv doesn't fix it.
>
> That is true, but it almost does.  I have about 1200 ports on my laptop
and just rebuilding did fine for them. Everything built correctly and all
that I have worked fine. That includes all of gnome2, most of
gnome2-powertools, and all of gnome2-office. Since it seems like you are
dealing with the same ports, I'm baffled as to why you have having problems
with them. My gdm-binary (I assume a typo in your message) does not link to
libiconv.so.3 and runs fine.

N.B. The iconv issue is NOT painless as a few ports make use of features in
GNU iconv that are extensions of the POSIX standard for iconv.  These ports
have  a serious issues and am unsure of how they will be handled. None of
the ports I have used have  this issue. I found the db42 deletion far more
annoying. I'm still trying to clean all of that up.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com