hal, ntfs, and 10.0-RC3

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 6 07:02:11 UTC 2014

2014/1/6 Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com>:
> Since I updated to 10.0-RC3 (from 9), hald no longer works with my ntfs
> partitions. I can mount them manually with ntfs-3g, but when not mounted,
> hal does not see them at all.
>
> Might this be fall-out of the removal of ntfs (read-only) support? I have
> not looked through the hald sources to see how it detects these slices. I
> do find it interesting that mounting one NTFS file system causes all of the
> other ones appear to hald.

I've done some work on HAL in past months, so I have a view on the matter.

HAL uses sysctl for disks detection, so it's up to the system to list
all the available drives. I'll try to have a look in next days, but my
wild guess (since I've not been using ntfs-3g for years) is that
ntfs-3g unloads its module when all mounts are removed, thus making
the drives undetectable again. Is that correct?
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla