gvfsd-trash considered harmful

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sat Sep 14 17:41:16 UTC 2013

Lately, I've been having no end of trouble with gvfsd-trash
(gvfs-1.12.3_1 on 9.2-RC).  It automatically latches onto any new
mounted filesystem and prevents unmounting, either permanently or, in
the case of various nullfs mounts poudriere creates, just long enough
for poudriere to fail and hose my package repo.  In addition, starting
poudriere on 9.2-RC while gvfsd-trash is running it triggers a kernel
panic - 100% reproducible, as soon as poudriere starts the builder
jails.

Google shows many similar complaints about gvfsd-trash from other OSes,
but no solutions other than 'pkill -STOP gvfsd-trash'.  Killing it
outright won't work, since gnome-session will just start a new instance.

What can we do about this?

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no