Metacity fails after updates

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 05:28:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> for the record, in case anyone hits it too and googles for solution.
>
> After seeing that you said it still happens after rebuilding all
> ports, it comes to me and I just deleted all suspicious conifig files
> & dirs, which begin with dot and I never altered in home dir. And then
> it works again. Apparently something cannot handle old configurations
> after being upgraded to new version, and need a fresh start. I am not
> interested in finding out what exactly it is as long as it works. But
> anyone curious is welcome to solve the mystery.
>

> Jia-Shiun.

This issue is a combination of a change in Gnome icons and a race
condition. I suspect that your removal of your saved configuration changed
the timing or triggered a change in defaults so that the failure to start
the gnome-settings-daemon does not cause metacity to fail. I could probably
dig through the repo and find the exact issue, but, as I mentioned, a
faster graphics card took care of the race so that the
gnome-settings-daemon did get started.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com