GNOME2 - avahi daemons and various ports.

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:46:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 15:58 +0200, ian ivy wrote:
> Hi, yes you are right - HAL is crap. On my other machine
> with FreeBSD, I'm using Xfce4 without HAL and Dbus.
> It is only a few lines in xorg.conf file to get rid of these things.

dbus isn't much of an issue, it's just a lightweight process
communicator:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus

Many applications nowadays use dbus regardless of Gnome (or KDE) and
lose some functionality without it (or won't run at all).

Gnome itself won't start without dbus running.

> > I don't have gnome-session listening in both Gnome 2,
> > nor Gnome 3. But no idea where your behavior might come from.
>
> It is quite strange. Especially when you are saying that you don't have
> gnome-session listening. Maybe someone else will knew solution?
>
> > I'd go for pf in case you're concerned about external connections.
>
> Thanks. When I saw these results of sockstat and netstat, I immediately
> created a PF rules.
> One more thing. For now, I starting GNOME with startx command, so I
> must added to the .xinitrc file something like;
>
> /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
>
> Can you write, which login manager you are using? This may be related
> to gnome-session listening.

GDM, the Gnome's default display manager. Some Gnome features like
multiple user switching are tied to GDM, as they integrate directly into
it.

Basically, the two

dbus_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf is all I use for launching Gnome, without HAL and rest
of the pointless stuff.

I even had avahi enabled for like a year or two once, "in case I maybe
find out some use for it one day"... Guess what. I never did.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)