Mounting Sony camera

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 28 05:40:02 UTC 2011

On 3/22/11 4:46 PM, osp at aloha.com wrote:
> Fresh install of FreeBSD 8.2 and Gnome 2.32.1
>
> With previous FreeBSD sertup this camera mounted fine. Now all I get when I
> connect is (/var/log/messages)
>

> Mar 22 16:21:57 myhost root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x054c product
> 0x0010 bus uhub4
> Mar 22 16:21:57 myhost kernel: ugen4.2: <Sony> at usbus4
> Mar 22 16:21:57 myhost kernel: umass0: <Sony Sony DSC, class 0/0, rev
> 2.00/5.00, addr 2> on usbus4
> Mar 22 16:21:57 myhost kernel: umass0:  RBC over CBI; quirks = 0x1000
> Mar 22 16:21:58 myhost kernel: umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
> Mar 22 16:22:08 myhost kernel: (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): AutoSense failed
>
> Several different models of USB thumb drives mount fine.
>
> My /etc/rc.conf contains:
>
> # -----------------
> moused_enable="YES"
> mouse_type="AUTO"
> dbus_enable="YES"
> hald_enable="YES"
> polkitd_enable="YES"
> powerd_enable="YES"
> gnome_enable="YES"
>
> My /boot/loader.conf:
>
> snd_ich_load="YES"
> atapicam_load="YES"
> kern.maxsiz="734003200"
>
> My /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> vfs.usermount=1
>

> So I thought installing gthumb viewer would help. It won't run. From a
> command line I get:
>
> $ gthumb
> Failed to initialize GEM.  Falling back to classic.
>
> Which seems to be a video problem. And, I frequently get notifications that
> a video setting could not be set. Sometimes the desktop looks fine,
> sometimes it is at a lower resolution. I installed x.org after gnome2, but
> since then I have done a portsnap and portupgrade -a.
>
> During a boot I see
>
> drm0: <Intel i915G> on vgaci0
>
> All very strange because 8.0 worked fine on the same hardware.
>
> Anything in particular I should reinstall, or just start over?

This could be a kernel issue.  Can you mount the camera umass device
outside of HAL?  I have updated hal a few times lately to fix some
issues with newer versions of the new USB stack.  If you can mount the
device outside of HAL, make sure you have the latest version of the port.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome