pulseaudio: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect instead of module-detect!

Michal Varga varga at stonehenge.sk
Wed Mar 2 16:40:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 17:50 +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> That's possible, of course.  Another possibility is that they think that
> everything is Linux, or everything is like Linux, or they don't care about not Linux.

Well that's why I mentioned the message from Maarten Bosmans that hit
the list recently. It seems that in this case, they actually do (care :)

> I am all for contacting them, for sure.
> Just want to point out that the proposed patch would not be against the nature of
> the ports, because it doesn't affect functionality, but addresses OS differences.

That's for sure, what I meant more is that on our side, PulseAudio
already nowadays is in a somewhat semi-abandoned state - most the time
we have it patched and maintained to the "works about right" level
(unless you try to do something especially esoteric like, dunno, trying
to record audio), but there seems to be just a very little communication
between FreeBSD and upstream, which only delegates us to a third class
citizen position.

FreeBSD, especially in the Gnome area already lost too much on various
upstreams' Linux-centric development models (the udev crap is a good
example, but far from exclusive; *cough* KMS anyone?), and even that
itself soon is to become more like "Ubuntu-centricism" (yes, it can get
even worse. I've been there and it's not a pleasant experience).

But there are some cases where we are to blame too, because of our "meh,
those are Linux guys anyway and they will always do it only their foul
Linux ways, so let's just fix it inhouse and don't bother with upstream"
mentality.

That works only to an extent and eventually over a while, nobody in
upstream knows anymore about how those "funny systems that nobody use"
work.

So whe should really try to communicate matters with them more, even if
it's such trivial change as "guys, seriously, remove this deprecation
warning as, you know, there are these technologies other than udev that
other platforms employ, and your warning doesn't make any sense there".
You know, one step here, one step there, and over a while, some Linux
developers might actually keep in mind that there are these other users
somewhere that don't actually run Linux and that it's not nice to break
things for them needlessly. Start there and over a while, there will be
nothing for us to keep fixing inhouse.

m.

--
Michal Varga,