upgrading to glib 2.24.2 causes panic in 8.1 and memory exhaustion in 7.3

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Fri Sep 24 18:56:32 UTC 2010

24.09.2010 14:46, Chris Stenton пишет:
> PORTNAME=  glib
> PORTVERSION= 2.24.2
>

> I've just been updating my ports collection on "stock" 8.1 and 7.3
> systems using portmanager
>
> On 8.1 using "sudo portmanger -u -y" to upgrade caused a PANIC with
> vm.pmap.shpgperproc being cited as needing increasing when it gets to
> upgrading glib20
>
> On the 7.3 patch 3 machine it runs out of memory and gives
>
> Sep 24 11:18:16 saturn kernel: kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded; see tuning(7)
> Sep 24 11:18:47 saturn last message repeated 31 times
> Sep 24 11:20:48 saturn last message repeated 120 times
> Sep 24 11:22:43 saturn last message repeated 111 times
>
> if I go into the glib20 directory and do
> make
> make deinstall
> make reinstall
>
> Then it works fine.
>
> Chris

Hi, Chris!

You said that you can upgrade glib manually, so it has something to do
with portmanager.

As sourceforge site says:
"As of 2006-01-19 0:00:00 UTC, this project is no longer under active
development."

Indeed that means that project is dead for more then 4 years.
Would you consider to give ports-mgmt/portmaster a try?
It is light, fast, has no external dependencies, well supported and
polished software, that follows present FreeBSD ports collection trends.

What features portmanager have that portmaster doesn't?

If you still need to use portmanager, then increasing values of
vm.pmap.shpgperproc and kern.ipc.maxpipekva sounds reasonable to fix the
issues with this program.

--
Regards,
Ruslan