ports/148272: polkit-gnome-authen core dumps when starting gnome

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 4 21:08:10 UTC 2010

On 7/4/10 5:00 PM, Barbara wrote:

>>> This is what I get after rebuilding also bug-buddy WITH_DEBUG:
>>> http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com/NHQeUcqk
>>>

>> Guys, can you try removing the date/time applet as described in
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-applets/+bug/599140 and
>> see if this problem (as well as the slowness) issue goes away?
>>

> I've tested removing the clock applet, but it doesn't solve the problem.
>
> Anyway I think that there are two different issues, at least from what I can
> see on my desktop pc (i386, ports).
>
> One is that polkit-gnome-authen.core is dumped in /var/gdm when logging in
> with GDM, but everything seems working correctly.
> I can't even remember how I've found it. The following line is printed in ~/.
> xsession-errors:
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so:

You should have a /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libgnomebreakpad.so
file (installed by bug-buddy).

> The other is the problem about slow start of panel and/or nautilus when
> running startx.
> Here you can find what is printed on the console:
> http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com/BnGRPB5L
>
> I have no idea if they are related and if it's correct mixing them, but if I
> use GDM, the desktop starts normally, if I use startx no core is dumped.

Koop's suggestion to use ck-launch-session for startx sessions is a good
one.  You need to do that.  As for the core dump, I have been unable to
reproduce locally.  My research led me to the clock applet suggestion.
The backtrace was not terribly useful.

Can you try testing a virgin account with GDM as well as with startx
(and ck-launch-session) to see what problems still exist?

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome