Is there something wrong with the default dbus policy?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jul 1 18:52:02 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:32:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz at yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> --- On Thu, 7/1/10, Bear <jilingshu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just found a problem of dbus. I installed xorg and
> > gnome2-lite via pkg_add -r with PACKAGESITE = 8-stable. Then
> > I added dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" into
> > /etc/rc.conf and mounted /proc. I also sure that my
> > localhost and my host name with domain name is pingable.
> > My ~/.xinitrc is list below:
> > exec ck-launch-session gnome-session
>
> I have the same problem.  Are you getting a message like this in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jul 1 04:00:23 myhost kernel: pid 1551 (polkit-gnome-authen), uid 92: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)

I am seeing similar issues. Many operations (like starting the panel or
adding applets to it) take a very long time and I get a lot of the
errors from apps not able to communicate with the session manager, but I
don't ever see the polkit-gnome-authen crashing. On the other hand, I
have no such process running, but it may run and exit.

I do not have the problem with multiple workspaces. I can create or
delete them at will and it works fine.

One things that might be different is that I am NOT running xdm. I login
and run startx(1). My system is i386 and it is running all current gnome
ports and 8.0-stable of March 3.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)