hal/gnome-mount issues

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Sep 14 01:23:12 UTC 2009

I have found that recent versions of gnome hare re-introduced problems
that I thought had been resolved.

The most annoying is not being able to dismount gnome-mount mounted
volumes. Sometimes I get a message that the operation is not
allowed. This seems to happen only on ufs volumes. If I issue the
command as root (sudo gnome-mount -u), the volume is dismounted, but
gnome-mount immediately re-mounts it. I have never succeeded in getting
my UFS media to dismount and stay dismounted without stopping Gnome.

Another is that the volume was not mounted by gnome-mount and must be
dismounted outside of gnome. I checked /media/.hal-mtab and, as claimed,
the volume is not listed.

I can add it to .hal-mtab and then I can dismount it, but I get to the
problems above. The volume is immediately re-mounted.

A minor issue which may be related is that the volumes usually don't
mount when they are plugged in. If they were plugged in when gnome was
started, they seem to mount, but they don't when gnome is already
up. This can be worked around by doing something to access the disk. I
usually issue a manual mount command to mount it elsewhere in the FS
(not in .media) and then dismount it, It immediately re-mounts in
/media, but can never be dismounted for the reasons listed above.

Finally, gnome-mount will always report errors because it tries to mount
all three 'devices' created, /dev, /dev/ufs, and /dev/ufsid. I had
thought that /dev/ufsid was not used, but it still seems to be and I
often see a df listing the ufsid version as the mounted device.

I suspect all of these are related, but I can't be sure. Any suggestions
as to where to look? I see this under both 7.2 and 8.0. All ports are up
to date and all were rebuilt from ports after the 8.0 upgrade.

Thanks,
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)