ports/140563: net/avahi-app doesn't build - depends on missing "gnome-config"

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 28 18:45:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 10:24 -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <200911262110.nAQLAcdG090998 at freefall.freebsd.org>, you wrote:
>
> >Synopsis: net/avahi-app doesn't build - depends on missing "gnome-config"
> >
> >State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> >State-Changed-By: marcus
> >State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 26 21:10:01 UTC 2009
> >State-Changed-Why:
> >Post a list of all install ports/packages, and the config.log from the
> >avahi-app WRKSRC directory.
> >
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=140563
>

> Ummm... its a bit too late for that.
>
> I already found that package that contained "gnome-config" and installed
> it.
>
> However, after doing that, I then ran into _this_ new and different problem
> when trying to build avahi-app.  Can you help me with this?

> checking for gmsgfmt... (cached) /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
> checking for xgettext... (cached) /usr/local/bin/xgettext
> checking for pkg-config... yes
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for GLIB20... yes
> checking for GOBJECT... yes
> checking for DBUS... yes
> Error: Couldn't determine the version of your D-Bus package.
>   This is probably an error in this script, please report it
>   along with the following information:
>       Base D-Buss version =''
>       DBUS_VERSION_MAJOR='0'
>       DBUS_VERSION_MINOR='0'
>       DBUS_VERSION_MICRO='0'
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from
> "http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/gnomelogalyzer.sh", which will diagnose the
> problem and suggest a solution. If - and only if - the gnomelogalyzer cannot
> solve the problem, report the build failure to the FreeBSD GNOME team at
> gnome at FreeBSD.org, and attach (a)
> "/usr/ports/net/avahi-app/work/avahi-0.6.25/config.log", (b) the output of
> the failed make command, and (c) the gnomelogalyzer output. Also, it might
> be a good idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
> (i.e. an `ls /var/db/pkg`). Put your attachment up on any website,
> copy-and-paste into http://freebsd-gnome.pastebin.com, or use send-pr(1) with
> the attachment. Try to avoid sending any attachments to the mailing list
> (gnome at FreeBSD.org), because attachments sent to FreeBSD mailing lists are
> usually discarded by the mailing list software.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/avahi-app.
> %
>

> Anyway, as my bug report noted (and as I think you can easily verify)
> the port of net/avahi-app does in fact depend upon the presense of
> "gnome-config", and there is, apparently, no package/port dependency
> for net/avahi-app which _necessarily_ causes gnome-config to be installed.
> Thus, building _can_ (and does) sometimes fail for net/avahi-app, because
> gnome-config may not be present.
>
> Do you actually need more information to verify thuis simple fact?

The gnome-config error is meaningless (gnome-config is not required by
any modern application).  The underlying problem is that you have a
local problem with one or more of the ports installed on your system.
If you want help in resolving it, then you need to provide the
information I requested.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome