Looking for a suitable window manager capable of replacing the old sawfish

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Mar 20 09:08:07 PDT 2009

> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:48:35 +0530
> From: Manish Jain <invalid.pointer at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>

> Hi,
>
> I am migrating from RedHatLinux-7.2 to FreeBSD-7.1. I am used to
> RHL-7.2's sawfish which was capable of remembering window placement,
> size and position of X clients. I am looking for a gnome-compliant
> window manager on FreeBSD-7.1 which can do the same. Neither
> metacity nor the new sawfish seem to be able to do the job.
>
> Can anybody please make a suggestion ?

The inability to remember sessions is a problem with Gnome 2.24, not
with the window manager. It seems that gnome-session for 2.24 was
shipped with the "save session" routing turned into a no-op. This has
resulted in several significant Linux distros staying on Gnome 2.22.

See http://np237.livejournal.com/22014.html for more details.

At this time, I know of no fix. I have worked around it by setting up
startup tasks to fire up the applications I want at login. No the same
thing, but better than a blank desktop.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)