Problem with auth in policykit-gnome

Gustau Perez gustau.perez at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 21:20:31 UTC 2009

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 09:20 +0200, Gustau Pérez wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I'm having troubles using policykit-gnome. My system is a clean 7.2
>> STABLE, all ports removed and recompiled clean. If I log as
>> a normal user if I try to change some actions doesn't bring me the
>> auth dialog. If I log as root, I can change everything. If I
>>  remember well I thing the same happened with CURRENT, but can't
>> confirm it right now.
>>
>>    I checked 'policykit -> Modify defaults for implicit
>> authorization', which gave me 'Admin Authentication' (the default value).
>>
>>    My ${LOCALBASE}/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf allows root to do
>> anything and defines an admin group. If I add a user
>>  and allow him to do anything, then it works. So that made me think
>> policyit-gnome was to blame.
>>
>>    Anyone can confirm this behaviour ? In case someone does, I have a
>> patch for the port (based on a patch in ubuntu) which seems
>>  to fix the problem I can send a pr with the patch If anyone confirms
>> this.
>>

> Are you sure /proc is mounted?  This is required for PK to work
> properly.

   Yes it is. It is mounted via fstab :

        proc                    /proc                   procfs
rw   0       0

   To confirm my session is detected, ck-list-sessions shows :

    Session4:
        unix-user = '1002'
        realname = 'Gustau Perez'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = TRUE
        x11-display = ':0'
        x11-display-device = '/dev/ttyv8'
        display-device = '   ?   '
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2009-07-04T17:41:14.065038Z'
        login-session-id = ''

   Editing /usr/local/share/PolicyKit.conf by hand allows normal users
to change settings.

   I sent a pr/136328 hours ago, it has a patch which fixes the problem
for me. Reading fedora and ubuntu forums, I saw
the same problem, with a solution to solve it. I attached a patch to the
pr with that solution.

   Regards,

   Gus