GDM 2.24.1 and XDMCP

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Jan 20 11:08:12 PST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 02:23:35 -0600, Uwe Laverenz <uwe at laverenz.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:47:55PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
>> > Another question: is it me or does GDM 2.24 still come without
>> > XDMCP-Chooser functionality?
>>
>> Yes, XDMCP functionality was removed from GDM 2.22 and higher.  Despite
>> that, the GNOME release team decided to ship it with GNOME 2.24.
>
> Joe, thank you for your answer and for all the work that you and the
> others have done for FreeBSD/Gnome. This was one of the reasons why
> you kept GDM 2.20 in the ports then?

We kept 2.20, because of GNOME release team's decision for 2.22. As for
the GNOME 2.24, we don't keep gdm 2.20 because we follow them.

> I must admit that I can't understand why they release 2.24 with a
> nearly useless version of GDM and broken/removed session support. :-(

I have been disappoint with GNOME developers/team for long time by now.
Sometimes, they don't work as team. The release team is weak and seems
can't make the decision. The developers don't test the tarballs sometimes
when they released.

> thank you,
> Uwe

FreeBSD GNOME Team