PulseAudio causing kernel panic with GNOME 2.26

Ashish SHUKLA wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:53:55 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm running FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT (amd64). After portupgrade-ing to GNOME 2.26
today, I'm not able to boot into GNOME. As soon as gnome-settings-daemon gets
started, I get a kernel panic. Being in X11, I'm not able to see any messages
printed on the screen. And also there is no dump getting saved on swap device.

I also have Xmonad installed, so after booting into Xmonad, I started
gnome-settings-daemon on terminal, and I noticed after loading pulseaudio
related stuff, I got a kernel panic.

You'll notice in the log that I'm using an extended partition as swap (shared
between GNU/Linux and FreeBSD) and FreeBSD is not dumping on it. So I created a new
'freebsd-swap' partition in disklabel, but no still dumps.

Anyways, there is some information related to the fault is logged in the
dmesg[1].

BtW, prior to writing this mail, I've already ran memtest86+ on my box and it
has passed all the 8 tests without any errors.