Controlling Evolution MIME helper associations?

Lachlan Michael lachlan at lkla.org
Wed Oct 15 14:06:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:55 +0200, Mark Evenson wrote:
> How do I control Evolution's notion of the handler to associate with a
> given MIME type?
>
> With the latest Evolution (2.22.3.1) build from ports, Evolution's
> notion of which handler to associate with which MIME type seems very
> screwed up when it comes to attachments OpenOffice.org and Microsoft
> document formats.  For attachments with "*.doc" and "*.xls", I only get
> a "Save As..." option from the associated context menu.  For files with
> "*.odt", I get a context menu offering to "Save As..." as well as open
> with "OpenOffice-2.3.1", "Archive Manager", or "Wine Windows Program
> Loader" which would be ok except for the fact that I have long since
> moved to "OpenOffice-3.0.0".
>
> The file associations in Nautilus are correct (i.e. it knows to
> associate "OpenOffice-3.0.0-Calc" with files of type
> "application/vnd.ms-excel"), so it seems that something is overriding
> Evolution's notion of MIME associations.
>
> The operating system instance has been continuous upgraded via
> 'portupgrade' for about two years running, so things are undoubtably
> outside the normal path for upgrades, but I can't really understand
> where to begin here.  Any pointers?
>
> For what it's worth, creating a completely new user accessing the same
> mailbox via Evolution shows the same behavior, so this seems to be
> something screwed up in the system directories as opposed to the user
> directories.
>
> I did a little reading about 'update-mime-database', but since Nautilus
> knows the correct associations but not Evolution, that doesn't seem to
> be the correct path.
>
> Any clues on what to look at?

Just a me-too, with exactly the same symptoms with Evolution 2.22.3
(work machine).

I do get "abiword" for files of type ".doc" and "gnumeric" as helper
applications for files of type ".xls", but no "openoffice.org".

I even re-installed openoffice.org and Evolution but still had the same
problems. Nautilus works fine.

On my home machine with Evolution 2.22.1, everything works fine. Not
upgrading in a hurry here!

Sorry no help but at least confirmation that it may be more generic than
a single system screwed up. Just 2 systems screwed up? I guess now is
when someone chimes in with a "works for me" ...