hal and ntfs-3g

Stefan Hauser etienne at usr.ch
Fri Mar 28 14:24:38 PDT 2008

> > since i have a few ntfs partitions on my laptop, i use them also much from
> > freebsd. so far, i just hat mount_ntfs point to ntfs-3g, since i need write
> > ability too. now i noticed, this won't work with hal mounting.
> > after browsing trough gconf, i found exactly, what i need:
> > /system/storage/default_options/ntfs/fstype_override
> > ok, set it to ntfs-3g. but, no go. default option there is locale=, and this
> > is not in the allowed section for ntfs..
 [....]
> > so, /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi needs
> > some addition, i guess.
>
> I've been looking for someone with ntfs-3g foo to help here.  I don't
> have any NTFS volumes, and I don't use fuse.  There were some threads on
> this list a while ago with some things to try.  If you could put
> together a list of changes that work for you, I would be happy to commit
> them.

hmm. not as easy, as i was guessing. at least not with 7.x.
6.3 /sbin/mount constructs a mount_type with whatever type was specified with
-t, so, no problem to introduce new filesystems.
7.x /sbin/mount has a fixed list compiled in, so mount -t ntfs-3g fails.

i think, the best solution would be to have a little helper programm, which
does the effective mount. at least, for fbsd 7.x

  etienne