2.22 Upgrade Issues

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Mar 27 22:01:06 PDT 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:14:33 -0500, Frank Jahnke <jahnke at sonatabio.com>
wrote:

> I upgraded to Gnome 2.22 over the last couple of days, and followed the
> web site procedure (including the gconf changes).  Overall it went
> smoothly, though it did take a very long time.
>
> For some reason automounting is not working.  I get a warning at boot
> from dbus -- "$dbus_enable is not set properly" -- but otherwise there
> is nothing consequential there.  Hal finds both cd0 and acd0, as
> before.  Inserting a CD gives the error message that the drive could
> not be mounted, and then subsequent attempts give nothing.  Any
> suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Possible similar with this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2008-March/019600.html

> Also, no desktop icons appear for two additional hard drives on the
> system that are not part of the traditional file system.  One is found
> from a console window, so it are mounted, but the appearance is
> different, and the other (an NTFS disk) is not found.

Do you have gvfs installed? If yes, then have you tweak gconf yet? If no,
see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq222.html#q4

If you do have gvfs installed, see first URL in top.

> Some notes on minor things.  The initial portupgrade of the gstreamer
> plugins failed because one library (liboil?) was already installed and

Ummm... It's possible that somehow your ports tree isn't in sync to have
complete up to date? We have correct liboil library version change in
multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile before merged into FreeBSD ports. If
you can remember which specific port(s) then it will helping us better.

> would not be upgraded.  Instead I used a "-fR" flag and it proceeded
> properly.  I also had many circular references when I was finished that
> I had to delete.  Starting polkitd from rc.conf seems not to work
> properly, though it does using GDM.

The polkitd is no longer need to be in rc.conf. I will need to update in
our FAQ.

> Evolution does indeed start faster -- many thanks!!! -- but its screen
> refreshing is terribly slow.  80% of my CPUs (an old dual Athlon) is
> consumed if I move a terminal window over the Evolution window (grab the
> title bar and move it in a circle), which is new.  Screen updates in
> Evolution similarly are very slow.

If you are using imap stuff, check here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2008-March/019594.html
(in top)

Other than that, I don't know.

> I was also bitten by the xorg mouse issue (work-around applied) and it
> is serious enough that I think it merits a mention on the upgrade page.
>
> Overall this one went pretty smoothly for a .0 release, but for me at
> least there are a few minor niggles remaining.
>
> Frank

FreeBSD GNOME Team