Error compile policykit-0.9 (FreeBSD 7-STABLE)

Pascal Hofstee caelian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:40:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Christopher Gregory
<cjg at pc-tech-support.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was also getting this error when trying to compile PolicyKit,
>
> but resolved it by going to:
>
> /usr/ports/sysutils/policykit/work/PolicyKit-0.9/src/kit
>
> and in that directory is a file called
>
> kit-string.c.orig
>
> I renamed that file to:
>
> kit-string.c
>
> and it recompiled and installed without any errors.
>
> Now I do not know if this undoes any critical security updates to the
> file, but it is at least a starting point for the developers.
>
> I am not a C programmer.

I just thought about that while on my way home ... and i just confirmed it.
The FreeBSD port sysutils/policykit has a local patch in
files/patch-src_kit_kit-string.c that is responsible for adding the
2nd implementation for the strndup function.

Apparently in older versions the first implementation was never there
and probably was introduced in 0.9.
Now with FreeBSD's local patch added as well we suddenly end up with a
duplicate definition.

I still stand by my feeling that the implementation provided by our
local patch is the better one of the two however, and i'll leave the
final word on this to our gnome-team.
In the mean while though, you could remove
files/patch-src_kit_kit-string.c to stop the ports-system from
applying that local patch to the sources.

--
  Pascal Hofstee