Unable to umount removable media: device busy

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Thu Jul 17 06:34:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 16:16 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 21:58 +0200, Dominique Goncalves wrote:
> > Thanks guys for your answers,

> > > As others have said, this may be fam/gamin related.  You could try
> > > running lsof on your volume to see what is actually holding it open.
> >
> > It is indeed gam_server
> >
> > %fstat | grep media
> > dom     gam_server  1384  948 /media/disk 1649686560 drwx------   65536  r
> >
> > How to tell gam_server to leave /media/disk ?
>
> The only way to do this to restart gam_server.  Though I'm not sure who
> is telling gamin to monitor this drive.

I recently faced a similar issue - unable to unmount either of an
msdosfs ata/hdd partition and an msdosfs usb/flash drive. I was able to
unmount both after closing a nautilus browser window that was open on
the Gnome desktop. I'm not sure why gam_server would still have been
monitoring any files opened on those two mounts but from memory fstat
showed a number of them. No folder from either of the two mounts was
selected in the nautilus browser, although they likely had been earlier.

Wayne