Epiphany Upgraded to 2.20.3 Crashes

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Thu Jan 24 13:31:14 PST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:59:39 -0800
Frank Jahnke <jahnke at sonatabio.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 12:55 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > If you don't use GDM, just set LANG in your usual shell RC file (e.g.
> > .cshrc).  You can also do the ~/.login_conf trick.  Things are much
> > easier when GDM is NOT in the picture when it comes to locale.
>
> Thanks.  I do have it in .login_conf at the moment.  This is way OT, but
> why do people use GDM anyway?  I like being able to exit X11 to the
> command line easily, and GDM always has caused me problems.  Am I
> missing something?

You're probably not really missing anything.  I like that the
gnome power management is still running, and will turn the
monitor off, which is something that the console doesn't seem to
be able to manage.  (On this machine, even X couldn't do the
DPMS thing on my monitor until a couple of weeks ago, for some
reason.)  I also like that (along with the rest of GNOME) it
relieves me of manually futzing with yet another config file.
(.xinitrc/.xdefaultrc).  Of course, this issue has shown the dark
side of this strategy in dark relief...

It's pretty.  (Well, prettier than default xdm, anyway.)

And getting to the console is so easy that I'm a bit surprised
that anyone has an issue with it.  There are two ways that I
use:  If I just want to have a look at the console, to see if
there are any messages that haven't made it into the system
logs, then ctl-alt-F1 will do the VTY switch thing, and bingo:
console.  If I want there to be no X stuff running (say I'm
portupgrading X or GNOME), then I shut it down with
/usr/local/lib/etc/rc.d/gdm stop.  Easy.

--
Andrew