hal and gmirror, gjournal

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Thu Feb 28 21:44:38 UTC 2008

on 28/02/2008 23:35 Joe Marcus Clarke said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 28/02/2008 23:02 Joe Marcus Clarke said the following:

>>> In the future, always include everything listed at
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q19 when reporting hal problems.
>> Thank you for the pointer to this extensive information.
>> Additional data is attached.
>>
>> P.S. the instructions have --verbose-yes for hald command, it should
>> '=yes' ('-' vs '=').
>>
>> P.P.S. this info should be also applicable to the other problem that I
>> described (dvd-ram+fat32).
>
> According to GEOM the .journal volume is a child of the main volume.
> That is, ad4s2d is the parent of ad4s2d.journal.  So hal is reporting
> this correctly (and this is what I see on my home machine which is using
> gjournal).  I'm not sure why you think this is a problem since you mount
> the .journal node in fstab.

It just seemed to me that it would be more natural to be a child of data
provider (ad4s1d) or of both. But if that is what GEOM says, then be it.
Or maybe I should bark at a different tree :-)

> As for the mirror problem, I'm not sure how to fix that.  The mirror is
> a child of two nodes which violates the tree structure.  I'm open to
> suggestions or patches.

No suggestions at this moment. I've been acting like a mere user,
complaining about things that didn't fit into 'intuitive' world-view.

--
Andriy Gapon