ports/125993: www/firefox3 is unusable

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Aug 1 23:19:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:25:29 -0500, Joe Kelsey <joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us>
wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:30:07 -0500, Joe Kelsey
>> <joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us> wrote:
>>
>>> The following reply was made to PR ports/125993; it has been noted by
>>> GNATS.
>>>
>>> From: Joe Kelsey <joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us>
>>> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
>>> Subject: Re: ports/125993: www/firefox3 is unusable
>>> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:22:31 -0700
>>>
>>>  Now, since totem USED to work flawlessly in firefox2, but it causes a
>>>  coredump in forefox3, that means that firefox3 is BROKEN.  I am really
>>>  sorry that it took you 3 weeks to notice that firefox3 was broken,
>>> but I
>>>  noticed the firest day it was released and submitted a PR.  Just
>>> because
>>>  you don't pay attention to it does not matter to me.  I reported that
>>>  totem core dumps firefox3 immediately.
>>
>> Weird, now I have totem works with firefox3 and it was built with
>> firefox2. I am not sure what has happened, but when I was working on
>> new USE_WEBPLUGINS[1] and I reinstalled totem to use it. I accidented
>> have USE_WEBPLUGINS to install all browsers even include linux.
>> However, the totem plugins work perfect in firefox3 without get
>> firefox3 crashes. It does not happen before. It's possible that
>> 2.0.0.16 has fixed or something else that got fixed. But, you can try
>> to reinstall totem with firefox 2.0.0.16, then copy totem plugins in
>> your ~/.mozilla/plugins to see if it's fixed for you too. Or maybe it
>> was fixed in Firefox 3.0.1. I am clueless at the moment.
>>
> I reinstalled everything and totem immediately crashes firefox3.

Today, I have changed totem to only support gecko18 because I have found
depend on what page in www.apple.com/trailers will causing Firefox 3
crashes. While other pages doesn't get crash. I don't know why, but I
shall search in google for this problem sometime tonight or tomorrow when
I get break from USE_WEBPLUGINS. The mplayer-plugins works better for
Firefox 3, btw.

> No change for me.  Maybe it is a gstreamer problem?

I don't think it has to do gstreamer. It's more like totem plugins.

> /Joe
>
>> I am marking totem with plugins works with gecko18 and gecko19 in MC
>> ports-stable. The MC ports-stable isn't complete ready, so I will
>> giving a head up when it's ready.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports-stable/www/mplayer-plugin/Makefile.webplugins
>> Cheers,