Question about noexec flag in HAL

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Apr 29 19:25:10 UTC 2008

Hopefully just a quick question. In the past I've had to compile HAL
with a patch to disable the noexec flag from being used when mounting
CD's. The lines in question are below:

tools/hal-storage-mount.c
#ifdef __FreeBSD__
#define MOUNT           "/sbin/mount"
-#define MOUNT_OPTIONS   "noexec,nosuid"
+#define MOUNT_OPTIONS   "nosuid"
#define MOUNT_TYPE_OPT  "-t"

This has been rather of a pain, since I don't want to keep making a
custom patch to remove this flag. Is there some other easy way to remove
the noexec flag from being used in CD mounting? I've tried by putting
this in my /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi file:

<device>
  <match key="volume.fstype" string="iso9660">
     <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noexec"
type="bool">false</merge>
  </match>
</device>

However, it doesn't seem to make a difference :(

Any other hints? Or am I stuck patching HAL itself?

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software