CURRENT, devbuf memory allocation and hald

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 17 18:33:41 UTC 2008

Pascal Hofstee wrote:

>> The easiest way is just to kill them.
>
> I just got home and took the time to check which of the hal-addons was
> responsible for triggering the steady increase of devbuf usage and i
> found that the increase stopped as soon as i killed the
> hald-addon-storage process for /dev/acd0.
>
> /dev/acd0 is an LG CD/DVD-RW Burner in case that matters.
>
> Any further suggestions in trying to find a fix are welcomed.

This could be related to the recent ATA changes in -CURRENT.  Typically,
we poll /dev/cd0 using ATAPICAM.  You might try removing any fdi files
you've created to use the ATAPI device rather than the ATAPICAM device
to see if it helps.

On each pass of the poller, we send a TUR command to the device.  If the
command returns that the device is ready, we say it has media.  The code
for this can be found in libprobe/hfp-cdrom.c.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome