Gnome pausing forever if restarted too soon?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Apr 12 18:28:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:12:18 -0500, Maxim Vetrov <muxas at mail.ru> wrote:

> Joe Marcus Clarke пишет:
>> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:01 +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Today I've got enough motivation to ask about a problem I've saw since
>>> my first days with Gnome in FreeBSD. When I quit my current Gnome
>>> session and start a new one in a moment, e.g., to test some new
>>> settings, Gnome won't fully start: It will show the initial logo, load
>>> some components, hide the logo, and then just pause with the empty
>>> desktop. It doesn't seem to matter if I use gdm or startx. The
>>> workaround I found is to kill Gnome-related processes left running
>>> after I quit Gnome, but doing so each time is a bit annoying. Is it a
>>> known issue? Sorry, I failed to find any references to it in the FAQs.
>>>

>> The issue is with bonobo-activation-server.  If it remains running
>> (i.e. some of its clients keep it running), GNOME will not restart.  If
>> it alone is killed, GNOME will start right up.  I haven't yet looked
>> into why these clients are not dying.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Just for those who might stuck with that issue as I.
>
> IMHO, there is a problem libbonobo if it's compiled with threading
> support (and it's the default setting in the port!). When it must
> cleanly quit after user logout it really doesn't because its thread is
> waiting for something... (see my previous posting on how to reveal
> that). I do not have enough technical expertise to find reason(s) of
> such behaviour. The workaround which worked for me is to disable
> threading. You can do it by putting
>
> BONOBO_ACTIVATION_DISABLE_THREADING=yes; export
> BONOBO_ACTIVATION_DISABLE_THREADING
>  into /etc/profile. After login you must see confirmation from b-a-s in
> the /var/log/messages:
> Apr 10 21:41:55 devel bonobo-activation-server (muxas-3007): b-a-s
> running in non-threaded mode

It's a complete guess, I don't know if it's related or not. Does it has to
do with libbonobo/files/patch-activation-server_object-directory-corba.c ?
Will remove this make any different or not?

Anyway, there is debug tip in ${WRKSRC}/activation-server/README that
maybe will helping to find specific problem. It looks like it's a good
idea to add WITH_DEBUG in libbonobo.

> If b-a-s complains that it can't find
> /usr/local/etc/ConsoleKit/run-session.d, create this dir.
>
> Regards,
> Muxas

FreeBSD GNOME Team