x11/gnome-screensaver-2.22.1 is not unlocking screen on entry of correct password.

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Apr 7 15:55:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 17:07 +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> > > PAM and gnome-screensaver do not work together if you are using
> > > pam_unix.  Rebuild gnome-screensaver without PAM support, and it will
> > > instead read /etc/master.passwd directly to authenticate the user.  That
> > > will work.
>
> Just to add a bit more noise to this discussion: I've just re-configured
> gnome-screensaver to not use PAM, and re-installed.  When doing so, I
> discovered that this installs gnome-screensaver-dialog, which is setuid
> root.  Clearly, that's necessary in order to look at master.passwd
> directly.  Isn't the same setuid-root done when PAM is involved?

The setuid privileges are dropped once initialization is done since GTK+
apps cannot run set[ug]id.  If they could, or if gnome-screesaver-dialog
was not a GTK+ app, this wouldn't be a problem.  That's why a wrapper
that actually does the PAM dialog would work here.  Linux, on the other
hand, includes a setuid tool with Linux PAM which does the privileged
work for pam_unix.  This means that none of their login apps need to be
setuid root.