ports/115870: [DEPS] graphics/cairo reduce X dependencies

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 4 06:48:08 PDT 2007

Alexander Leidinger píše v út 04. 09. 2007 v 15:38 +0200:

> Increasing the number from e.g. 3 to e.g. 20 does not slow down that

No, only tenfold.

> > You are operating on false assumptions here. Let me explain how libtool
> > on FreeBSD work. It explicitly passes all indirectly required libraries
> > to the linker during build. So they all get recorded in the shared
>
> AFAIK it operated like this in the past, but not now anymore (it was
> one of the complains des(?) had with the autotools ports, it is not
> present in the old libtool versions, but AFAIK it is present in a
> recent libtool version). I will check this to make sure it works and
> come back to you with the result.

Go check; I believe it still does this.

> BTW: I just checked for gtk20 after my last mail. They have .pc files
> for the installed and uninstalled case. The uninstalled case lists
> the .la file in the build directory together with all dependencies. The
> installed case lists the compiler flags together with all dependencies.
> I'm in the process of testing the removal of the dependencies from
> the .pc file for the installed case.

I seriously doubt gtk20 port maintainers will accept FreeBSD specific
hackery on installed .pc files.

> And regarding the "better be safe than broken" part... we all know
> about the mails after a KDE/GNOME/X11/... update. So far there where
> bugreports all the time after a major upgrade. Some problems are
> because of missing dependencies, some are because of missed
> portrevision bumps. By listing the explicit depends you get rid of some
> complains (no missed libs, ability to check for more affected ports
> than now). And by adding a check-script to pointyhat runs, you can even
> get the big picture and are not limited to your local testing.

I'd like to split the debate into two parts

1) dependency validation script, a tool for maintainers, portlint style

A good thing, no question.

2) recording all indirect dependencies explicitly in ports

A bad thing, a total no go.

This is my last mail about the bullet (2). You just can't persuade me to
change my mind on this.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?