Long hang before gnome screen....

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Fri Nov 30 00:18:16 PST 2007

	Can anyone on the Gnome list explain why it takes several *minutes*
	for Gnome to come up after I've logged in?  Either as root or
	kline, typing gdm as root brings up the gnome login widget;
	then it it at least 5 minutes before anything appears.

	Note that I'm running 6.3-PRERELEASE for the past few hours and
	will stop upgrading when 6.3 releases STABLE.  I did have some
	trouble getting the /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 meta-port to build
	completely.  And for a few days of head-banging, my new version
	hung because of incorrect BIOS settings: my computer was very
	touchy about "COM1" or sio0. So, this obvious question: could the
	Gone screen delay have anything to do with the hardware setting on
	this Dell 8200.  (KDE comes up straight away.)

	thanks for any light,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix