launcher problems...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Nov 1 11:52:19 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 09:16:40AM -0600, James wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> >
> >         Guys,
> >
> >         I don't understand this: I just recompiled as much of Gnome as I
> >         an think of.    Still missing are the "greeting application"
> >         (cf to the xlogin, perhaps).  And, after logging in to root
> >         wwith the daisy-flower login screen, when I tried to exec a term
> >         or konsole, it said I am missing a "launcher."
> >
> >         Anybody  knowwhat I have to do here?
> >
> >         merci d'advanc,
> >
> >         gary
> >

> > --
> >   Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
> >       http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

> You said you hadn't followed the handbook instructions on installing Gnome
> last time; have you tried that yet?

	This is what I have been doing since my first try at gnome circa
	2002.   Altho in my .xsession I have "exec gnome-session" rather
	than the full path to the binary.

	As "kline" it looks for the typical "greeter app", can't find
	it, and opens a second login screen.  Once I'm logged in there,
	things go totally dead.  Finally a pop-up dialog off screen
	displays what appears to be the contents of ~/.xsession-error.
	From there, things lock up.

	As root, I do get my usual menu strips, but empty.  When I
	right-click (to exec an xterm) the applet says that I'm missing
	a "launcher".  I'm out of idears.

	gary