gnome-mount & glabel

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 14 15:23:13 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 12:24 +0200, Volker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some weeks back I was having some trouble with gnome-mount which I was
> unable to figure out in detail. Last weekend I started to experience
> some similar problems on another machine and I decided to take a
> closer look.
>
> What I was able to figure out is using glabel is causing gnome-mount
> not being able to dismount mounted volumes and refusing to mount
> unmounted volumes. The error while trying to mount is a null info
> message and when trying to unmount a volume one gets a "mounted by
> another UID" message.
>
> When not using glabel (not kldload'ing glabel) gnome-mount works
> properly. I haven't been able to investigate deeply so this is just a
> BIG FAT WARNING not to use glabel with gnome as long as this problem
> is not solved. Probably it's an hal problem and g-m is not at fault.
>
> Both machines are recent RELENG_6 + Gnome 2.18.
>
> Joe: When the Xorg upgrade has finished (I guess you're busy these
> days - I'm also currently trying the upgrade path so I'm also unable
> to investigate till the Xorg upgrade has done) can you point me to
> some instructions on how we get deeper into this issue? Or are you
> able to recreate the problem?
>
> To recreate the symptoms, just `glabel load', start gnome (and
> probably restart hal before) and try to mount / dismount volumes. Or
> use geom_label_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

This works fine for me.  The only known issue with glabel and HAL is
when you have volumes that have spaces in their labels.  This is
actually a bug with GEOM.  The only workaround is to relabel the volumes
without spaces.

Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome