ports/112084: sysutils/hal 0.5.8-xxxxxx endlessly resets scsi bus on adaptec 29160

Fri May 4 08:55:30 UTC 2007

Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com> (from Thu, 03 May
2007 19:41:46 -0400):

> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 23:40 +0000, Marat N.Afanasyev wrote:
>> The following reply was made to PR ports/112084; it has been noted by GNATS.
>>
>> From: "Marat N.Afanasyev" <amarat at ksu.ru>
>> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, amarat at ksu.ru
>> Subject: Re: ports/112084: sysutils/hal 0.5.8-xxxxxx endlessly resets scsi
>>  bus on adaptec 29160
>> Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 03:04:04 +0400
>>
>>  i've encountered a kernel panic after removing cd1 from scsi bus. hald
>>  made my da0 stopped completely, so no io operation on drive was
>>  possible. systems goes down with ufs2_write panic
>
> This sounds like a termination problem.  Either that or a hardware
> problem with this controller.  You may want to inquire about this on
> questions@ or stable at .

Note: I encountered on the old system of my brother something similar.
I updated it to the current GNOME and as soon as hald did start I got
a lot of CAM messages on the console (da0 on Adaptec controller). The
system went down to a crawl. I disabled hald in rc.conf and the system
came up well. I did let the system in this state as he did need it. I
did not had time to investigate. THe system hardware is not changed
since years and works without problems. Unfortunately I can not tell
more.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit.