Upgraded Gnome to 2.18, once again Vino stops authenticating

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Mar 25 16:14:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 06:20 +0000, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> Ugh, I have the worst luck with Vino, and it seems to happen every time I
> upgrade Gnome. :( Except my fixes for last time aren't working this time.
>
> Just upgraded Gnome from 2.16 to 2.18 on FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE (it was a
> late prerelease, haven't gotten around to doing -RELEASE yet). All of
> Gnome is upgraded to 2.18 except Ekiga since ffmpeg won't update for some
> reason (so the gnome2 metaport is still at 2.16.2 but that should be fine
> since all component ports are otherwise updated).
>
> Last time part of my trouble was I was remote when I discovered the
> problem, which made solving things difficult but once I was local it was
> easy. Tonight I'm not remote, and all the standard stuff isn't working.
> The problem is that although the VNC client (TightVNC on a Windows XP
> laptop) prompts for a password (which means it's detecting vino-server
> running on the FreeBSD host), the password doesn't work. I've tried the
> following:
>
> - portupgrade -Rf vino
> - disabling then re-enabling Remote Desktop
> - re-entering and changing the password
> - logging out of Gnome & X and starting back up
> - rebooting
> - confirming in Notepad that I'm typing the correct password

Besides the IPv6-only socket in the beginning, I have had no problems
using vino.  I, too, rely on it for accessing my amd64 machine.  After
the upgrade from 2.16, I didn't have to do anything (besides compile
with IPv4 support) to get vino to recognize my client, and authenticate
me.

My /desktop/gnome/remote_access tree looks like:

alternative_port : 5900
authentication_methods : [vnc]
enabled : TRUE
local_only : FALSE