gnome-system-tools problems (still)

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 23:15:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:38:28 -0500, Kevin Miller
<fotrefofosisfi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:14:39 -0500, Kevin Miller
>> <fotrefofosisfi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I posted this message a couple weeks ago but I guess nobody saw it, or
>>> whatever.
>>>
>>> I have tried updating my cvs sources and updating packages, but am
>>> still having the same problems.  Maybe someone will see this that will
>>> have an idea.
>>>
>>> I am running FreeBSD 6.2 with gnome 2.18.1 compiled and installed from
>>> ports.
>>>
>>> I am having problems with all of the tools, specifically the
>>> shares-admin, and services-admin.
>>>
>>> None of the gnome-system-tools, even the ones that work, ask for a
>>> password if logged in as a normal user.  I've tried removing user from
>>> wheel group, and they still never ask.
>>>

> ----  snippity ----
>>>
>>> samba, and gnome are running, as well as dbus, polkitd, avahi, the
>>> system-tools-backends, and hal.  I get no errors on startup from those.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> The system-tools-backend and gnome-system-tools need some love from
>> someone to get them port full.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>

> Sounds about right... So, am I not the only one to have this problem, or
> is there anything that can be suggested I do?

Hack and port it. :-) Other way is to use real ways such as there are
tools that are available in base system. For example, if you want to add a
new user, use adduser. If you need to edit network, edit in /etc/*.

> Thanks

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org