any clues hy Gnome isn't autobooting?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 21:31:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 02:22:55 -0500, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:30:43PM -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 May 2007 21:17:41 -0500, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >	I have gdm_enable="YES" in /rc.conf but whrn I boot, I'm always
>> >	tossed into termina mode.  I have to login as root and go from
>> >	there.  Typing gdm is rejected because the binary is already
>> >	running.  And that proves true.  Tying kdm eventually gets me to
>> >	that graphix login.  From the kde login i can mouse into any
>> >	window manager I choose, but it turns out I'm more familiar with
>> >	gnome, etc, etc.  so to hav my hand, fingers, wrist, i'll
>> >	appreciate any insights.  Ifthe booot process looks at my
>> >	.xsession, that is likely part oft he problem.
>>
>> You will get better respone from us if you follow this:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
>>
>> Also, you haven't yet respone back to Norberto Meijome:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2007-May/017594.html
>
> 	Apologies.  I'll check the URL's within 24  hours.  I'm looking
> 	forward to getting evolution on the "new-tao" so i'll have the
> 	option  of usin it or mutt.
>

>> We are clueless just like you without any of your details.
>>

> 	Ihear you, friend.  just hhope that this is the last major
> 	upheaval for, oh, 7,000 years :-)

Afraid, we have a last major overhead for GNOME coming in this fall. We
are removing a lot of patches of share/gnome/, so we are going to leave
all of GNOME's tarballs vanilla at most. The result will be share/gnome/
-> share/. This one will helping us to get a few more years unless xorg
or/and GNOME developers do some big changes. ;-)

> 	cheers back,
>
> 	gary
>

>> Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>
>> >	Almost back to normal, tho!
>> >
>> >	-g

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org