hal and cd9660 volume.label

barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Mon Dec 31 08:36:12 PST 2007

I have a question about hal and volume.label.
If I create an iso image with mkisofs and I burn it to a cd/dvd with cdrecord/growisofs, hal mounts it with the label padded to 16 characters.
This is evident when the icon appears on the desktop with the label not centered but apparently shifted to left.
For example, if the volume label is TEST, with lshal I see
    $ lshal | grep TEST
    udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_TEST____________'
      info.hal_mount.created_mount_point = '/media/TEST            '  (string)
      info.product = 'TEST            '  (string)
      info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_TEST____________'  (string)
      volume.mount_point = '/media/TEST            '  (string)
      volume.label = 'TEST            '  (string)

and hal mounts the image under /media/TEST\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ /

This happens with images created and burned on FreeBSD and Linux, however on linux (hal-0.5.10) the label isn't padded.

This behavior lead me to think that the problem is with hal on FreeBSD.
Anyway labels are not padded on media burned with a common commercial application for Windows.
So I can't understand if the problem is with hal on FreeBSD and/or mkisofs or in the way I'm using them.

For reference, the mkisofs command used is
    $ mkisofs -o TEST.iso -V "TEST" -iso-level 3 -l -r -hide-rr-moved -J -joliet-long -graft-points "/=./test"